Friday, September 30, 2011

Brand New Day

I haven't been in the habit of posting two days in a row, although that was certainly my original goal.


After last night's rant, however, I feel the need to post again.  Yes, I needed to rant.  For me, an occasional rant is cathartic.  And I achieved the needed catharsis.


Today is better.  Everything is better.  The rain is gone.  The chill in the air is gone.  The Indian summer is here.  We have blue skies and sunshine, and I'm a sucker for that combination.


Last night, and this morning, I figured out a way to juggle our finances so that we can do something with this Indian summer other than admire it.  The husband has gotten a fair way into fencing the backyard.  We had intended to do that a bit later, but the chickens made it an urgent priority.  They weren't content roaming on an acre and a half.  Oh no.  They had to go into the neighbors' yards on both sides.  Now, they cannot access the neighbor's yards, and they cannot access our front yard and front porch.  This is a boon as we are not particularly interested in fertilizing the front lawn.


While the husband was working on the fence, I started on cleaning house in preparation for the mom's birthday.  Tomorrow is her birthday, and we are going to have a mighty fine meal.  As I said before, the husband is an expert at whipping up gourmet offerings on a very tight budget.  Tonight, we're headed off to see the play Sylvia at Theater Shenandoah, and I'm really looking forward to it.  The mom and I joined this theater just over a month ago, and we are very excited about the creative energy we've found in this valley.


Yesterday, I was sad over the fact that we aren't going to do anything really exciting on my mother's birthday.  Today, I'm happy that I get to spend her birthday with her, and we all have our health back.


One thing is for certain - I do occasionally get down, but when my best friend describes me as "insatiably cheerful", she is not wrong, and I never stay down for long.  Though we've run into a brief delay in terms of the business plan, we'll be right back on track come spring. 


As I sit here watching our kitten, Spaz, live up to her name, and I gaze into the kitchen at the best husband in the world as he prepares some yummy pork curry, I am well aware that I have a very good life, and while it's perfectly okay to rant when things get me down, you won't find me wallowing.


I leave you with this:  I Can See Clearly Now

2 comments: