Sunday, August 14, 2011

Progress

As I mentioned when I began this blog, one of my goals in keeping the blog is to detail our journey as we attempt to start a business.  So often, when I've read about successful people, the kinds of things they share are dry, boring and don't deal with the day to day challenges.  Here are some of the challenges we are currently facing as we proceed on opening our business.


We are on a strict budget at the moment, as we wait for our house to sell.  So we're spending a lot of our free time working on the house and yard - things that need to be done but don't cost a lot. One of the delights I'm experiencing in what is a new home to me, is the opportunity to work on my own yard.  This is the first time, in over twenty years, that I've lived in a home I own that isn't being renovated.  


A lot of people are daunted by the aspect of home maintenance, and perhaps the sheen will wear off with time, but this house was empty for several years before my mother purchased it, and the yard had been neglected in certain areas.  One of my favorite books is The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, and though the garden I have to work with is not secret, I am really enjoying tackling the project.  


Unfortunately, I got rather overenthusiastic about this project last Monday, and I really overdid it.  I'm still suffering the after effects and it's hindered everything that I want to do for the last week.  The up side is I'm drinking far less alcohol in an effort to get my muscles to recover faster.  I've been meaning to cut back on my alcohol intake for some time, and I'm feeling a lot healthier as a result.


Things are progressing really well with the chickens.  We've had four eggs this week, and I get such a thrill every time I open up the coop and find an egg in one of the nest boxes.


Mom and I are also making excellent progress on the business plan.  We met with the artist my mother commissioned to pick up our logo and conceptual art.  


Another grand success we've had of late is that the husband has narrowed down a magnificent recipe that is easy to prepare, yummy and healthy.  I won't give away any details at present, but he even came up with a clever name that is in keeping with our theme.


The only real setback we've had so far has been our budget crunch.  For awhile, it was looking like I would need to get a job in order for us to get going on this plan.  Luckily, some contract work for the husband has made that unnecessary and within a month or two, our budget problems will be over.


I highly recommend that anyone attempting to open a business - make it as low risk as possible.  Don't take a loan out on your house.  Don't eliminate all sources of income.  Find a way to put together a team and start small.  It really lessens the stress when you don't have all your eggs in one basket.  I expect us to succeed, but if we fail, it won't devastate us economically, and that's a really peaceful place to be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment